1 pint vanilla ice cream
1 chocolate pound cake
1 banana, thinly sliced
3 tablespoons chopped peanuts
1/2 cup thinly sliced strawberries
- Watch how to make this recipe.
- Let the ice cream sit at room temperature for a few minutes to soften. Line a loaf pan with plastic wrap so that it hangs over the edges.
- Using a serrated knife, slice the pound cake horizontally into thirds. Place the top layer of the cake in the bottom of the pan cut-side up.
- Spread half of the ice cream on top, cover with the banana slices and sprinkle with half of the peanuts. Top with the middle layer of cake. Repeat with the remaining ice cream, followed by the strawberries and remaining peanuts.
- Top with the bottom layer of cake. Wrap tightly with plastic. Freeze at least 6 hours and up to overnight.
- Remove the cake from the freezer 15 minutes before serving. Turn the cake out of the pan, remove the plastic wrap and use a serrated knife to cut into slices. Serve drizzled with hot fudge and topped with a dollop of whipped cream and a cherry.
Takeout-Style Chinese Spare Ribs
1/2 cup hoisin sauce
1/4 cup soy sauce
3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
2 tablespoons honey, plus a bit extra to finish
1 tablespoon five-spice powder
1 teaspoon granulated garlic
1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
1 teaspoon red food coloring
2 racks spare ribs (8 to 10 pounds), individually sliced into single ribs
- Mix together the hoisin sauce, soy sauce, brown sugar, honey, five-spice powder, garlic, ginger and food coloring in a metal, non-reactive bowl.
- Pour the marinade into a large zip-top bag, reserving 1/2 cup on the side for basting later.
- Add the ribs to the bag and marinate, refrigerated, for at least 3 hours, though longer is better and overnight is ideal.
- Heat a charcoal or gas grill to 275 degrees F for direct and indirect grilling.
- Remove the ribs from the marinade (discard the marinade) and place onto a wire rack.
- Place the rack directly on the cooler side of the grill.
- Cook until the meat is very tender, basting with the reserved marinade 3 times during the cooking process, 2 to 3 hours.
- Drizzle the ribs with honey, move them to the direct heat side and quickly char each rib to caramelize.